The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie is celebrating a special year in London’s West End by licensing a UK tour of the famous whodunnit play, for the first time ever.
The anniversary is question is a diamond jubilee, a full 60 years since the show first opened on November 25th 1952. I wasn’t even born then, no really…! Who could have predicted that this little play would simply go on and on and on? Part of the seceret of course, is that the Mousetrap has transferred theatres several times and is currently eeking out its dotage in one of the West End’s smallest traditional theatres, the St Martins Theatre.
The Mousetrap theatre breaks are an economical way of getting your weekend in London with travel, hotel and theatre tickets all set up by the way, and if you go and see a musical off your own bat during your free time in London then I think you’ll be able to congratulate yourself on organising a clever double theatre break weekend just like the real theatre buffs.
From November 26th, the Mousetrap also being performed in Yorkshire – at the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford, one of Yorkshire’s finest playhouses.
26 November – 01 December 2012
Alhambra Theatre, Bradford, Yorkshire
The Alhambra Theatre in Bradford seats 1400 people and attracts many large touring musicals and plays from London’s West End and also a good many that originate in regional theatres such as The Alhambra itself. Increasingly the big theatre chains in London are seeing UK Tours as a good way to reach audiences in short runs at each regional centre, rather than expect all of the shows to keep attracting audiences year in and year out to London where it’s always going to be expensive both to put on a risky new show and to keep older ones going after the initial main flush of potential theatregoers have already seen the show once.
- After the Bradford Alhambra, in 2013 the Mousetrap goes to the
- Bath Theatre Royal, 1 Jan – 26 Jan 2013
- Southend Cliffs Pavilion 28 Jan – 02 Feb 2013
- New Alexandra Theatre – Birmingham 04 Feb – 09 Feb 2013
- Newcastle Theatre Royal – 11 Feb – 16 Feb 2013
- Stoke-on-Trent Regent Theatre 18 Feb – 23 Feb 2013
- Aberdeen His Majesty’s Theatre, 25 Feb – 02 Mar 2013
- Sheffield Lyceum Theatre 04 Mar – 09 Mar 2013
- Leeds Grand Opera House 11 Mar – 16 Mar 2013
- Northampton Derngate 18 Mar – 23 Mar 2013
- Llandudno Venue Cymru 25 Mar – 30 Mar 2013
- Liverpool Empire Theatre 02 Apr – 06 Apr 2013
- Aylesbury Waterside Theatre 08 Apr – 13 Apr 2013
- Brighton Theatre Royal 15 Apr – 20 Apr 2013
- Norwich Theatre Royal 22 Apr – 27 Apr 2013
- Bristol Hippodrome 29 Apr – 04 May 2013
- York Grand Opera House 06 May – 11 May 2013
- Nottingham Theatre Royal 13 May – 18 May 2013
- Truro Hall for Cornwall 20 May – 25 May 2013
- Wolverhampton Grand Theatre 27 May – 01 2013
- Swansea Grand Theatre 03 Jun – 08 Jun 2013
- Darlington Civic Theatre 10 Jun – 15 Jun 2013
- Derry Millennium Forum 17 Jun – 22 Jun 2013
- Dublin Bord Gáis Energy Theatre 24 Jun – 28 Jun 2013
In addition, 60 productions of The Mousetrap have been licensed worldwide, including China, Australia, Russia, South Africa, Venezuela and the US and Canada translated into French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese and many other languages.